Why California Bus Accidents Are Not Like Other Motor Vehicle Accidents
On the morning of August 22, 2013 a tour bus carrying mostly senior citizens to the San Manuel Indian Bingo and Casino in Highland overturned and crashed off Interstate 210 in eastern Los Angeles County. More than 50 passengers were hurt, and several had to be removed from the bus by firefighters. Some of the injured were transported from the scene by ambulance and others by helicopter.
Many people can be badly hurt in a single bus accident
Traffic accidents involving a bus often cause injuries to multiple persons. The sheer size and speed of a bus can result in passengers being thrown from their seats in situations where there is even a moderate impact with another vehicle or a stationary object. The consequences of such an event include:
- Injuries to the head that can result in a concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Injuries to the neck or the back, including herniated discs
- Torn ligaments, including rotator cuff tears in the shoulder and torn meniscus in the knee
What you need to know if you are injured in a bus accident
While in many respects bus accidents are similar to other motor vehicle accidents, there are important things you should keep in mind if you are injured while a passenger on a bus:
- Part of filing your lawsuit will involve proving your injuries came from the accident. Be sure your name is recorded among the passengers in the police report.
- As a bus accident will typically involve injuries to several claimants, the insurance coverage may not be sufficient to cover all those injured.
- It is important determine the most recent rating given to the bus company by federal inspectors, as well as any history of accidents or traffic citations issued to the company and/or the driver.
- While the usual statute of limitations or deadline for suing for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident is two years, this period is considerably shorter when a public bus is involved.
Insurance companies for buses are often more aggressive as they are dealing with many claims at once. If you are injured in a bus accident, you need an experienced California bus accident attorney to advocate for you.