Common Causes of Car Accidents in California
San Jose injury attorney represents victims hurt in auto wrecks
As a car accident victim, it is your job to focus on getting better. As an attorney, it is my job to focus on how you were hurt. At my firm, the Law Office of Robert B. Kopelson, I’ve been helping victims of all types of crashes and accidents since 1978. My practice is entirely devoted to assisting people who have been injured, so I have experience representing victims whose accidents were caused by nearly every imaginable scenario. Whether you were injured by a drunk driver, a distracted driver or simply someone who was speeding, I will represent you in settlement negotiations and vigorously pursue your interests in court so that you can get the compensation you need to heal and move on.
Understanding the ways that drivers cause car accidents
San Jose car accidents are usually the result of something done wrong by a driver. Some of the most common causes of auto accidents include:
- Drunk driving. According to a report by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles, alcohol was involved in 23,868 crash injuries and 1,169 crash fatalities in the state in 2012. Drinking was a factor in 39% of all deaths on California roads in 2012. Drivers with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or above are considered to be driving under the influence (DUI).
- Distracted driving. Any time drivers aren’t aware of their surroundings, they create a danger to themselves and everyone else on the road. Distracted driving includes the use of electronic devices like cell phones, but can also include activities like reading a map, playing with the radio or talking to a passenger.
- Speeding. Increased speed means less time to react and less ability to maneuver. Speeding is a factor in many San Jose accidents.
- Failure to obey traffic laws. Running red lights, ignoring stop signs and improperly changing lanes all contribute to accidents.
As your car accident attorney, I will seek to hold negligent drivers and their insurance companies liable so you can get the recovery you need to pay your medical bills and get better.
Causes of car accidents by other parties
Not all traffic accidents are caused by drivers. Some of the other causes of auto accidents include:
- Manufacturer defects. Poorly designed and poorly constructed car parts can lead to the failure of brakes, steering systems or accelerators. These problems are even more dangerous when they occur on larger vehicles like trucks.
- Poor road conditions. In some cases, cities, states or government departments can be held liable for poor road conditions or maintenance.
These cases are complicated and have strict time limits, so it is important that you speak to me right away. I provide my clients with advice about what to do after a car accident.
Common injuries suffered in auto accidents
As your attorney, I will seek the maximum compensation available under the law for your particular injuries. Common car crash injuries include lacerations and broken bones. Many victims suffer head, neck and spinal injuries. More severe injuries include organ damage, paralysis, internal bleeding and nerve damage. My goal is to get you the care that you need, whether you have already healed or will need care for the foreseeable future.
Let me fight insurance companies for you
If you have been hurt in the San Jose area, it is important that you find an attorney with experience and knowledge of the law. At the Law Office of Robert B. Kopelson, I help victims of all types of auto and traffic accidents. To schedule a free consultation, call me at 408.293.4000 or contact me using this online form.